- Schlumberger Foundation Faculty Scholarship. The Faculty for the Future program, launched in 2004, awards fellowships to women from developing and emerging economies to pursue Ph.D. or Post-doctorate research in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines at leading universities worldwide.
Schlumberger Foundation Faculty Scholarship Target group:
- Women from developing and emerging economies
Schlumberger Foundation Faculty Scholarship. Schlumberger was founded in 1926 in Paris as the Electric Prospecting Company by two brothers Conrad and Marcel Schlumberger from Alsace. Schlumberger supplies the petroleum industry with services such as seismic data processing, formation evaluation, well testing and directional drilling, well cementing and stimulation, artificial lift, well completions, flow assurance and consulting, and software and information management. The company is also involved in the groundwater extraction and carbon capture and storage industries. The Schlumberger brothers had experience conducting geophysical surveys in countries such as Romania, Canada, Serbia, South Africa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and the United States. The new company sold electrical-measurement mapping services and recorded the first-ever electrical resistivity well log in Merkwiller-Pechelbronn, France, in 1927. The company quickly expanded, logging its first well in the U.S. in 1929 in Kern County, California. In 1934, the Schlumberger Well Surveying Corporation was founded in Houston, later evolving into Schlumberger Well Services, and finally Schlumberger Wireline and Testing.
Schlumberger invested heavily in research, inaugurating the Schlumberger-Doll Research Centre in Ridgefield, Connecticut in 1948, contributing to the development of several new logging tools. In 1956, Schlumberger Limited was incorporated as a holding company for all Schlumberger businesses, which by now included American testing and production company Johnston Testers. Over the years, Schlumberger continued to expand its operations and acquisitions. In 1960, Dowell Schlumberger (50% Schlumberger, 50% Dow Chemical), which specialized in pumping services for the oil industry, was formed. On February 2, 1962, Schlumberger Limited became listed on the New York Stock Exchange. That same year, Schlumberger purchased Daystrom, an electronic instruments manufacturer in South Boston, Virginia which was making furniture by the time the division was sold to Sperry & Hutchinson in 1971. Schlumberger purchased 50% of Forex in 1964 and merged it with 50% of Languedocienne to create the Neptune Drilling Company. The first computerized reservoir analysis, SARABAND, was introduced in 1970. The remaining 50% of Forex was acquired the following year; Neptune was renamed Forex Neptune Drilling Company. In 1979, Fairchild Camera and Instrument (including Fairchild Semiconductor) became a subsidiary of Schlumberger Limited. In 1981, Schlumberger established the first international data links with e-mail. In 1983, Schlumberger opened its Cambridge Research Centre in Cambridge, England. In 1984, the SEDCO drilling rig company and half of Dowell of North America were acquired, resulting in the creation of the Anadrill drilling segment, a combination of Dowell and The Analysts’ drilling segments. Forex Neptune was merged with SEDCO to create the Sedco Forex Drilling Company the following year when Schlumberger purchased Merlin and 50% of GECO. In 1987, Schlumberger completed its purchases of Neptune (North America), Bosco and Cori (Italy), and Allmess (Germany). That same year, National Semiconductor acquired Fairchild Semiconductor from Schlumberger for $122 million. In 1991, Schlumberger acquired PRAKLA-SEISMOS and pioneered the use of geosteering to plan the drill path in horizontal wells. In 1992, Schlumberger acquired the software company GeoQuest Systems. With the purchase came the conversion of SINet to TCP/IP and thus internet capable. In the 1990s Schlumberger bought out the petroleum division, AEG meter, and ECLIPSE reservoir study team Intera Technologies Corp. A joint venture between Schlumberger and Cable & Wireless resulted in the creation of Omnes, which then handled all of Schlumberger’s internal IT business. Oil phase and Camco International were also purchased. In 1999, Schlumberger and Smith International created a joint venture, M-I L.L.C., the world’s largest drilling fluids (mud) company.
Worth of Schlumberger Foundation Faculty Scholarship
- Faculty for the Future grants are based on actual costs for eligible expenses up to a maximum of USD 50,000 per year for a Ph.D. and a maximum of USD 40,000 per year for a Post-doc and may be renewed through to completion of studies. Renewal grants are subject to performance, recommendations from supervisors, and strong evidence of re-integration plans in the home country.
How to apply for Schlumberger Foundation Faculty Scholarship
- Candidates should have applied to, have been admitted to, or be currently enrolled in a university abroad when submitting their grant application. Candidates must hold an excellent academic record, demonstrate leadership skills, and community outreach activities and have a track record in encouraging girls and women into STEM fields. Candidates should also prove their commitment to return to their home countries upon completion of their studies to contribute to the economic, social, and technological advancement of their home regions by strengthening the STEM teaching and research faculties of their home institutions as well as through their leadership in science-based entrepreneurship.
- They are also expected to contribute to the public sector where their newly acquired technical and scientific skills can help provide evidence-based support for STEM policy making, including topics of gender representation.
- Applications are only accepted through the online system.
- Applications will be accepted from 8 September until 5 November 2022 for the 2023-2024 Fellowships.
- It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Application Deadline: 5 Nov 2022
Official Website: Click Here